Thursday, November 21, 2013

Self-Produced CDs, Part 1

Each year, the Blues Foundation encourages less well-known blues artists without recording contracts by giving an award for the best self-produced CD. In 2007, I was invited to be a judge at the semi-final level. They sent me two CDs, and I was to pick one for advancement to the finals. I chose Sophisticated Ladies by Sue Palmer and her Motel Swing Orchestra. Sue Palmer is a boogie-woogie pianist who plays jump blues in the style of late-'40s, early-'50s women like Camille Howard and Hadda Brooks. It's music from back in the day when the was considerable overlap between the jazz, blues and R&B markets. I loved it. My judgment couldn't have been too far off the mark, because the album went on to win the prize.

Nevertheless, I was never asked to be a judge again until a couple of weeks ago, when I got an email from Joe Whitmer, Deputy Director of the Blues Foundation. I told him I no longer have a radio program, but I guess they were desperate. I think I'm participating in the first round of the contest this time. Yesterday I got a package containing six CDs. I'm to simply pick my first and second choices; no justification is needed. My decision is due on the 28th, Thanksgiving Day.

There are 77 CDs entered in the competition. Each was nominated by a local blues society affiliated with the Blues Foundation. The Blues Society of Western PA has an entry, Empty Roads, by Dan Bubien. The winner will be announced at the International Blues Challenge in Memphis on January 25. 

These are the six CDs they sent me:
  • Big Jim Adam, Cajun Moon
  • Chris Antonik, Better For You
  • Blind Dog, Ashbrooke Sessions
  • Kat Danser, Baptized By the Mud
  • Lady Dee, Me and the Boyz, It Will Be Done
  • The Eric Hughes Band, Drink Up

Of the six, I'm only slightly familiar with Eric Hughes, whose music has appeared on a couple of samplers issued by Blues Review and Big City Rhythm and Blues magazines.

Here are the criteria, in descending order to importance.
  1. Blues content (Is this a blues recording?)
  2. Musical performance (musicianship)
  3. Audio quality of the presentation (production values, levels)
  4. Cover art and design (professional packaging, ready for the rack at your favorite musical outlet?)
  5. Credits and liner information (informative, professional)
Since a couple of the CDs have only minimal packaging and liner notes, I'm wondering how I will weight this if they turn out to have the best music. Music rules, I think. It should be fun. Everyone likes to be asked their “profesional opinion.” I'll let you know how it goes.

You may also be interested in reading:


No comments:

Post a Comment